12.05.2008

Foodie Friday

I think "Strange Fridays/Freaky Friday" wasn't working out too well. There are some funny news headlines out there, but they didn't seem to generate enough of a response. So, I'm changing Fridays to 'Foodie Fridays' because I love to cook much more than I like to read about weird news. I think since I'm really into coking I will be more motivated to try out a new recipe each week and report back to y'all. This week I made 'Bow-tie Pasta with Asparagus and Pancetta'.

This recipe was based on 'Gnocchi with Asparagus and Pancetta' in CookingLight magazine. I have made some changes, that is the best part about cooking, you can customize it by adding more ingredients or taking some out. The first time I tried this recipe was with a friend who came over and brought it along. She didn't have gnocchi, so we used bow-tie pasta and I loved it. Since I've never actually had gnocchi, I decided to use bow-tie pasta again. I was craving exactly what we cooked before and I didn't want to risk eating something I might not like. I didn't think to take a picture, but just imagine the crisp green asparagus on a bed of white bow-tie pasta sprinkled with the browish-red pancetta and milky parmesan shavings.

Bow-Tie Pasta with Asparagus & Pancetta

Ingredients:
6 oz. thinly shaved pancetta, chopped
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 small-medium (depending on how much you like) red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. bow-tie pasta
1 tbl. lemon juice
1 c fresh parmesan cheese
S&P
1/4 c cooking liquid

Method:
Boil pasta to al dente. While pasta cooks, crisp pancetta in large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When pancetta is browned, remove and reserve on paper towel. Add extra virgin olive oil if pan is too dry, add onions. Cook for about 4-5 minutes then add asparagus. Cook 3 more minutes, add garlic for one last minute.

Drain pasta (save some of the liquid) and combine with other cooked ingredients in large bowl. Add lemon juice and cooking liquid, S&P. Toss to combine. Plate individually. Sprinkle pancetta and parmesan shavings over top.

ENJOY!

No comments: