6.19.2008

Pop Off!

I love the beach. Everything about it. I love beach houses, the smell of the ocean, seafood, the hot sun, a tan you can't spray on, boating, fishing and so much more. Because of personal...pitfalls?...during the past year I do not get to the beach as much as I used to. My family, unlike most of our friends, does not own a beach house - and as I mentioned, invitations are rare these days. So when my mom had a work function at the Isle of Palms, we jumped on the chance.

The 5 days we spent at the resort were relaxing. This particular resort is brand-new (I mean literally just opened in 2008) and although could use a little more development, in the shopping/eating/entertainment aspects, it was perfect for the occasion. A great get-away from work, which has become increasingly stressful, and those woeful...pitfalls. Check out the pretty-ness.

Not only was this trip a great form of escape, our family also got a chance to bond. My sister is currently working on her PhD for Physical Therapy, I work and go to school (during the year), and both of my parents have jobs that require a lot of traveling. Needless to say, we don't get together a lot.

One particular story my sister and I enjoyed hearing my dad tell was one of his college days.* He lived in a house with two friends next door to a much older man who always complained about the noise they would make. One particular afternoon a roommate was shaking the fence between the houses and yelling when the old neighbor came out and starting yelling/cursing at the kid. At the end of his tirade he says, "All you kids do is come out here and POP OFF!" (My dad does the imitation with a deep southern accent and a high-pitched emphasis on the last two words)

Why is this story so incredibly funny? Enjoy. (There may be some offensive language so if you don't like it - don't watch it).

So, my sister and I have built this extravagant expression into our daily lives and the lives of our friends (which always evokes a barrage of laughter).

COMMENTS - What odd sayings/words have your adopted?

*College days being my favorite because my dad (who is almost bald now) had long hair and loved to party.

2 comments:

kk said...

so glad you visited 'will work for shoes'! keep up the blogging – you have a great sense of humor and view on life.

wasn't the hardest thing coming up with a title???

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Thanks KK! I love your site! Yes, coming up with the title is tough. I was so excited to start blogging though, I created it in quite a hurry.